BIOGRAPHY                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   The F.X. Hüller company was founded in 1882 by Franz Xaver Hüller (1856 -1936) in Graslitz.
Graslitz belonged to the Hungarian and Austrian part of Bohemia. After the first world war Czechoslovakia was formed and Graslitz became Kraslice. In 1938 Kraslice was confiiscated by Hitler and integrated into the German Reich and called Graslitz again.
In 1945, after the lost war Graslitz was given back to Czechoslovakia and was called Kraslice ever since. Until 1945 Graslitz was a German-speaking community.
In 1910/1911 he had about 250 people working for him. He was joined during this period by Anton Riedl (1884-1935) who was married to Hüller’s daughter Susanne. By 1919 they were joined by Ernst Modl (1892-1972) who was married to Hüller’s other daughter Philippine.
A partnership was born and the company name changed to F.X. Hüller & Co. They made all kinds of brass instruments, such as trumpets, trombones and even a jazzophone.  A saxophone department was established by Max Keilwerth in 1923.
The company used three trademarks:  “Professional”, “Champion” and ''World''.
In 1939 they were forced to build aircraft parts and war equipment. In May 1945 F.X. Hüller & Co was confiscated and integrated into the Amati collective. Ethnic Germans were forced to leave the country.
In 1950 Ernst Modl, the only surviving partner, started again in West Germany under the name: F.X. Hüller & Co Blechblasinstrumente Neustadt/Aisch.
In 1954 the company moved to Diespeck where they stayed until Ernst Modl’s death in 1972.
His brass instruments were named “EMO” (after his initials) and came again in the models “World”, “Champion” and ''Professional''.
In 1945 saxophone production ended in Graslitz, which in the same year was no longer part of the “Musikwinkel”.
The old F.X. Hüller factory and villa are still there. Nowadays the villa is inhabited by the Obst family and the factory serves as a shelter for the homeless.

Tobi, a German collector was so kind to send me copies of a 1934 FXH cataloque, see the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th row, below.


first row: pic 1 Franz Xaver Hüller / pic 2 Ernst Modl / pic 3 source ebay.de / pic 4 source Jazzophon.com, coll. G. Westerhof / pic 5 source 400 jahre Musikinstrumentenbau Graslitz katalog, coll. M. Rippert
second row: pic 3 F.X.Hüller ad with Jazzophon in Artist 48, 1930, nr 2305  pic 3 & 4 source Jazzophon.com / pic 5 Louis Armstrong was an endorser for EMO, one of his first trumpets was a FXH Champion source Kwintet Goed Koper-Xs4all
third row: pic 1 three contra bass saxophones, 2 x FXH and 1 x Toneking / pic 2 to 4 two 1924 bills, which shows they had a drum and string department too / pic 5 factory and villa 2016
fourth row: pic 1 & 2 blank warranty card, came together with a 3rd period Champion alto SN 24808 / pic 3 & 4 alto horn source ebay.de

fifth to eight row: 1934 FXH cataloque source Mönnig Company ( V. Schindler )




   
fxhuller.jpg emo.jpg trumpet.jpg jazzophone.jpg trombone1.jpg
saxophone.jpg saxophone2.jpg ad1930.jpg ad20.jpg louis.jpg
cb.jpg 1924bill1.jpg 1924bill2.jpg 1924bill3.jpg present.jpg
warranty1.jpg warranty2.jpg althorn1.jpg althorn2.jpg logo.jpg
cat1.jpg cat2.jpg cat3.jpg cat4.jpg cat5.jpg
cat6.jpg cat7.jpg cat8.jpg cat9.jpg cat10.jpg
cat11.jpg cat12.jpg cat13.jpg cat14.jpg cat15.jpg
cat16.jpg cat17.jpg cat18.jpg cat19.jpg cat20.jpg